Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have taken my 2011/60 plate bmw x5 3.0dxDRIVE to my local

Customer Question

I have taken my 2011/60 plate bmw x5 3.0dxDRIVE to my local BMW dealer as it was showing as requiring a transmission oil change! The service adviser and all of the technicians say they have never seen it before!! and apparently the BMW schedule says it doesnt need this as the unit is sealed!! Now, having had the car for 48 hours they are saying that they think its a BUS problem (whatever that is?) and are starting to take the car apart!!. I have asked whether they have spoken to BMW technical at head office but the service adviser has said they dont do that!!!!!!!!! Any help gratefully received. Thank you. Sean
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Sean

BMW do say that their transmissons are 'sealed for life' so you're right in saying that to get an error message requesting an oil change is very unusual

in practice 'life' tends to be about 80-100Kmiles wheras if the oil is changed every 30K or so they go on indefinitly

How is the car driving with the fault? and how many miles are on it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The car has got just a shade over 30,000 miles. It drives perfectly. I was told by BMW that you couldn't change the oil!

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Sean

BMW dealerships may well tell you that but its got a fill and drain plug like a regular transmisson as they still need to fill it up from the factory

If I was you I'd find an independent BMW specialist and take the car to them as you'll get a good level of expertise with a big cost saving on the labour rate and usually they listen to the customer

if you need me to loacet one for youjust let me know your wherabouts
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Matt, Thank you. Are you suggesting therefore that the car may well be telling the truth and just needs its oil transmission fluid changed?

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Sean

its certainly possible - how is the car driving with this fault?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It drives fine. Trouble is of course that we could change the oil but the dealer is saying they cant then reset the light!!!!

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Sean

they should be able to clear the codes so I'd request an oil change and then to clear the code
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Am being told they can't as the system shouldnt be asking for it!! Going round in circles and it seems like you have no answer really? Thank you though. Sean

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Sean

I'd suggest a 'hard ' reset of the car systems by disconnecting the battery cables and clamping them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

This will reset all the systems on the car and you may need the radio security code to get it going again, and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect the battery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm