Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 530d. Just started hearing piping sounds when turning.

Customer Question

I have a 530d. Just started hearing piping sounds when turning. I am supposing it's the cv joints. How long can in drive on it as I can't get to mechanic till tomorrow
Category: BMW
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

I gather this noise is from the front and not coming through from the back..?

Does the noise happen when on a straight or going over rough ground etc?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is coming from the left front wheel and only happens when i turn hard. Mostly if parking as I have cut the wheel. It is fine on the straight away. The noise just started yesterday but I can not get to mechanic till tomorrow and I have to drive about 50-75 miles till then
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok..first off id maybe check the wheel/tyre itself just be sure nothing is actually coming into contact with it at full lock which i persume this occurs..so have look at that and anything you can see within the inner wheel arch ie:- maybe loose arch liner etc..that coming into to contact with the tyre..look for any scuff marks or damage on the inner wall and outer wall and tread surface and the alloy itself of the tyre too aswell as that if you have run flats on this car then ensure thats not wahts happened here..and the tyres punctured..also have alook at the suspension spring/shock and see if thats still intact and hasnt broken and hasnt gone beyond the lower spring seat and maybe fouling to the top edge of the tyre again something to inspect and rule out..Obviously of course the rest of the check would have to inc having to remove the tyre and check other areas such as lower arm balljoint/or bush wear/broken antiroll bar links / loose backing plate/aswell as check for loose wheel bearing/top mount bearing...these cars dont have cv joints or driveshafts on the front as they are Rear Wheel Drive...so its pretty much a case of checking the obvious first as above if possible and see if anything is coming into contact the tyre on the front etc..if you can;t see anything untoward etc.and the tyre is secure the brakes work as they should ok etc..then it should be ok to drive steadily in the mean time until such time "although sometimes not advised" it can be properly seen to..i do hope this helps