Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Have just bought a 10 year old 3 series in great condition. However,

Customer Question

Have just bought a 10 year old 3 series in great condition.

However, it makes a tinny rattling sometimes when changing from
first to second or when slowly climbing a steep incline.

Also, when stationary, it spontaneously revs to about 1500
every 20 secs or so. Are either of these things normal?

Cheers.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

The answer to your question is that neither of these are normal, the car should not be making a rattling sound or revving on its own.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.