Roger
Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

Hi. Replaced ews control unit + key +key ring. Aligned ews

Customer Question

Hi. Replaced ews control unit + key +key ring. Aligned ews to dme correctly. Start no problem all day in workshop. Drive a few miles turn ignition off remove the key and now no start. Realign ews and dme and all go again. Has anyone experienced this problem and found a solution. Z3 2ltr 1999.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

My name is Roger and I would be happy to help you with this.

Ran into the same problem myself! :)

What I found is that the issue is a programming level conflict between the EWS and the DME. When the new EWS is installed, coded, and aligned it is good for a period of time and then it loses sync. with the rolling code in the engine computer.

What I have done to correct this is to always program the engine computer at the same time the EWS is replaced. This brings both units up to the current programming level and the problem should not occur again.

So far this has corrected at least 3 vehicles I have run into with this problem. I hope it proves to be the fix you need as well. In rare cases I have had to part warranty the EWS module but in most cases the programming should take care of this for you.

Please remember to provide positive feedback once satisfied with my help.

Thank you and let me know if I can help further.

Kind Regards,

Roger