Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I Have a 2004 X5 3.0d with 60k miles when driving at 70 the

Customer Question

I Have a 2004 X5 3.0d with 60k miles when driving at 70 the auto transmission will randomly select neutral. If I pull over and switch off the engine I can restart and drive in limp home mode. The fault codes are 4F82 4F85 4F95 if I reset it I can drive for 100 miles before it happens again. The gearbox appears to function correctly when not displaying the faults. The transmission warning light displays until the system is reset.

Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

these codes point to an internal failure of the transmission

you can consider getting a rebuild and replacing the input shafts, but the usual prescribed solution would be replacement of the transmission

other things to check would be the speed sensors and transmission control unit connection, but these codes together point to a transmission failure

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

The Professional has left an answer for you. Please remember to rate the answer given once you are satisfied. You can ask follow-up questions at any time for no additional charge.

Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.