Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi, I have an R reg 328i cab with 140k on the clock, I have

Customer Question

Hi, I have an R reg 328i cab with 140k on the clock, I have had this 8 years and have kept the car serviced twice a year throughout. However it has developed a sucking in air fault and my Mechanic who I have recently changed to cannot pinpoint the air sucking in. I have changed a couple of bits and he has had the manifold off and changed the injector caps but it is still sucking air in and the car takes ages to start and then runs like a bag of shit no power, although on high revs the car runs ok. can you give me any pointers as the manifold is plastic and it does not show any signs of a crack or holes. Cheers XXXXX XXXXX 01206 250277   Nb my guy has changed the Breather as well just in case you think this could be the problem.

Cheers

Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

hello and welcome

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

if the car is drawing in too much air then I would check that the airflow sensor is functioning properly

if it is, then you need to have a smoke test carried out to find the source of the air leak - this is how such leaks are traced, they can be very hard to find visually so this step needs to be carried out next

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your repairs.