Roger
Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

On BMW E60 2006, can the KGM module be programmed for anything?

Customer Question

On BMW E60 2006, can the KGM module be programmed for anything? ie, for example the connector X1670, pin numbers 6 and 7 are spare. can kgm be programmed to send a output from either of these pins when a condition is met. i,e signal from pin 6 when ignition on, and signal fro pin 7 when ignition off? or can it only be programmed with specific functions? Many Thanks
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help you with this question.

Unfortunately the KGM or body gateway module cannot be programmed beyond what it already is coded to control. When this unit is replaced it needs to be programmed and coded to the vehicle. Each BMW depending on its options will have a vehicle order. This vehicle order is what the options the vehicle has at the time of delivery. This is used to "tell" the KGM what options it has during coding so the inputs and outputs are correct. The vehicle order can be changed while doing a retrofit through programming or by BMW by supplying the dealer with a new VO (vehicle order) that comes in a specific format that must be loaded with the BMW programming station.

I have a description for you of what the KGM does in your vehicle:

graphic The KGM is actually multiple modules in one. The only way for you to use outputs of the KGM would be to monitor the wiring to see if the input or output you are looking for is there for the function you want. Then you could splice into the wiring to achieve the input or output you are looking for. But existing inputs and outputs would be needed.

I hope this is helpful. Please do not leave negative feedback for my honest answer as this goes directly against my rating. My goal is to help you until you are satisfied or I could release the question per your request for another expert. Please post back if I can help further. Please provide positive feedback once satisfied with my help. Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Roge