Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi I have just aquired a BMW 728i sport. The previous owners

Customer Question

I have just aquired a BMW 728i sport. The previous owners wife went to jump her car from the battery and connected the jump leads incorrectly.
Unfortunately this caused the following fault, the radio display comes on but there is no sound, and the GPS stopped working. The when in radio mode the display comes on and the trip computer works fine. Also the central locking stopped working on the fob but put the key in the door lock and it opens all the doors fine. Can anyone suggest where to start?
Thanks in advance!
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome,

My name is Steve and it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

.

I would start by checking all fuses if you have not.

if fuses are okay, you can try unhooking the vehicle battery for one hour to reset all systems. wait 30min after turning the car off before unhooking the battery.

if the problem persists, then you are looking at component failure. the possible failed components would be the navigation computer, amplifier, ignition switch, remote receiver, general module.

unfortunately none of these components are intended for manual diagnosis, so the next step would be to have the vehicle scanned with a factory level diagnostic computer.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.