Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi ah be ha BMW 630i 2008 models.. I have 106000 miles on it

Customer Question

Hi ah be ha BMW 630i 2008 models.. I have 106000 miles on it and my engine oil temp gauge won't shift... It it and the lowest t 70 degrees even after 2 hour of highway driving.. And as a result my climate control with in the car won't heat.. The electric car eats warm but it's still freezing I. The car.. My fuel economy has dropped from a good 35 mpg to a 26mpg wit careful driving.. Do u have any suggestions?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

hello

what do you mean by " engine oil temp gauge won't shift"

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The oil temp indicator won't change below the minimum..
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

where is it that you are reading the oil temperature from?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's on the dashboard... Below the rev counter
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

you mean the outside temperature display?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
In the car.. Thiere is a needle which goes up as the engine oil temp goes up.. But it dosent
move..
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

so the engine temp guage does not get warm, and then you don't have any heat in the car?

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yeah the needle doesn't move.. What is the cause?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

this can be caused by a failed temperature sensor (or problem with its connection/wiring) or by an actual cooling system problem that is preventing the engine from actually getting warm, which would most commonly be a thermostat that is stuck open.