Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

hi I drove my 2002 x5 with parking brake still engaged - went

hi I drove my 2002 x5 with parking brake still engaged - went over speed bump and then something went badly wrong!!! really bad sound and something is big time broken - what have I done?
car not driveable, even towing it was really noisy and grinding.
oohhh no what an idiot!!!
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Can you please provide more detail about the issues?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is making a really loud grinding noise - not from the engine but the underneath or back..even when being towed with engine off!

It just went suddenly as if something broke/seized.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
You have likely damaged the parking brake mechanism. If you are unlucky possibly the rear brake as well.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks and would not blame you....I'm the idiot! is that a mega expensive job? will it have to go to a garage or can my husband do it? he usually fixes stuff on my car?

It is pretty old now and not worth masses anyway!

how big a job?!!

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
It is not a terrible job, but might be tough to do at home, should only run maybe 300gbp if just the parking brake. Would be best to have a bmw specialist take care of it.