Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

hi.have a 1997 2.8 auto convertible.gearbox works fine until

hi.have a 1997 2.8 auto convertible.gearbox works fine until 3 or 4 kickdowns then goes into limp mode,does the same if I put auto into sport mode.turn engine off for couple of mins n it works fine for a couple of mins till it goes back into safemode.i have no kickdowns n no 5th gear while in limp mode.no transmission light comes up on dash either

Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

hello

what diagnostics exactly were carried out?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he just done a gearbox check n that's all he sad was electrical.he pluged a computer into something under the bonnet

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
did he tell you what fault codes were stored? did he do anything other than just plug in the computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no he just pluged it in and said a electrical problem.bit annoyed as i thought the diagnosic machine would say what it was

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

okay I understand...

what question is it that I can answer for you on this topic? what would you like to know?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

why is my autobox going into safe mode and sport mode dont work ?

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

there are dozens of things which can cause safe mode

usually it is an internal mechanical issue in the transmission or low fluid

it can be a failed sensor / solenoid / other small component or an electrical issue

there is no way to know until detailed computer and manual diagnostics are carried out.

a simple plug in of a basic scanner will not determine the cause, you will need to invest in high end diagnostics on a factory BMW scanner

again, there are MANY things which can cause this and usually it is not electrical. it is impossible to say until the detailed faults are read out and further hands on checks and tests made - chiefly a fluid check.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert