Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a new BMW 640 di Gran Coupe M and I asked at the showroom

I have a new BMW 640 di Gran Coupe M and I asked at the showroom if it was lower than the other car I traded in ( Merc CL 500)
I am horrified toi find that I scrape the ground as I enter my normal driveway!! BMW have told me the front skirt cannot be modified!!!!
I am desperate?? Any ideas???
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

hello,

I wouldn't modify the car, I would modify the driveway

you can have a small amount of concrete laid to make a ramp up into the driveway (very easy and inexpensive), or install this product: http://www.bridjit.com/

if you cannot modify the driveway then I would suggest you have a body shop look for a way to modify or trim the underside of the front skirt - there are not many other options short of a very expensive (and possibly impossible) suspension change to address this on the vehicle side. Dealers don't really get involved in doing this kind of work, so a body shop or even car customization shop would be your best bet at finding a solution.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It fouls on the cross-over....not a problem with my own driveway.... BMW says that the front skirt/spoiler retains the underbody pan and this cannot be modified.Is this true? The local council is likely to be very unhelpfull as far as modifying the pavement cross over.

It is not an extreme slope!!...in fact quite a modest slope.The problem is that the nose of this car is quite long?? a design fault!!

Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

unfortunately this is anything but a design fault... the car is very attractive and preforms very well as engineered. it was purposely designed in this way.

the front skirt does hold some underbody pieces so modifying it will not be easy

however, if you have a body shop raise the car and inspect where it is rubbing on the ground, they may be able to devise a solution which still allows the other parts to be held in place properly - this will require hands on work as the rub point will need to be assessed