Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi my bmw 316i is driving me mad.for a couple of months now

Hi my bmw 316i is driving me mad.for a couple of months now it has been really shuddering and rev counter up and down before going anywhere. Then it started to cut out when pulling in or out of junctions and reversing, the warning light came on and I called the aa out, he told me it was a air fuel problem and to take it to a garage which I did. They found a couple split air pipes and replaces but still it carried on cutting out. They recommended me to go to a bmw specialist which I did, they changed a breather value and then when it still continued to cut out they changed a sensor. After this which was a week ago it has cut out but still slightly shuddering and revs up and down. Then yesterday the temperature dial shoot up into the red saying it's over heating when I had only been driving 5 minutes and today its still doing the same. Do you think these are both connected and how do I go about solving this? Its been going on foronths now and in to garages about 7 times. Any help could be much appreciated. Charlotte
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

what year and model is this car?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The is 2000 and its a 316i

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

there isn't much that would be connected and cause these short of a blown head gasket. I would have a test carried out for this to verify

as for other possibilities, for the overheating they most likely would be a failed thermostat or water pump or leak/low fluid level. there are simple tests that can be made for this

as for the cutting out, this would most commonly be a fuel pressure/delivery issue, failed crankcase ventilation system or possibly a failing cam sensor or idle control valve

I would have the above checked if they have not been.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. I shall now decide if i should spend out even more money on it or get rid of it. But really appreciate your help on this. Thank you

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

you are welcome, please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating.

Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert