Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Hi my 2005 bmw 530 e53 on the left side rear is making a really

Customer Question

Hi my 2005 bmw 530 e53 on the left side rear is making a really loud creaking sound how do I pinpoint where its from?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Generally it would be case of having to remove the rear wheel on that side and visually inspecting each bushing/ball joint in turn to check for any possible rips or excess corrosion around the rubber bushes/balljoints where water may have got in..using a good solid lever in certain areas to feel for any play in these or as you highlight above to listen for the creaking as you describe from lower swing arm/both top or upper control arms/lower balljoint that the lower control arm is attached on the main wheel carrier so its basically checking all arms and balljoints you see on that side aswell as the spring base/seat and any fluid leaks from the shock absorber..you can also with the vehicle jacked up and tyre still in place and use a good heavy duty lever under the tyre and pull up as you would to work the suspension and obviously have somebody else observe from the inner side to listen or pin point the noise or location even..or you can spray each balljoint/bushing in turn with wd-40 and then test drive to see if the noise has reduced if it has then which ever joint you sprayed will be the area to inspect and or replace..usually the most common on these are the actual upper control arms that "can" cause this noise due the balljoint end thats bolted to the carrier drying out..so certainly check these carefully aswell as the small antiroll bars links..If your unable to check the items above then im sure any good local garage will be able to track it down..I do hope this helps