Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I HAVE A 316i SE 2001 4 DOOR SALOON FITTED WITH A M43TU B19

Customer Question

I HAVE A 316i SE 2001 4 DOOR SALOON FITTED WITH A M43TU B19 SINGLE CAM SILVER TOP ENGINE. IT IS ALSO FITTED WITH A BROKEN GM AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. WHICH I INTEND TO REPLACE. BOX FITTED IS A GENERAL MOTORS A4S 200R-XH 5 SPEED. PART NUMBER XXXXXXXXXXX I HAVE BEEN OFFERED ANOTHER BOX FROM A 2002 318i 2002 2 DOOR SALOON WITH A TWIN CAM B20 ENGINE. IT IS A A4S 200R BUT EH INSTEAD OF MINE BEING XH. THESE NUMBERS I THINK RELATE TO THE "ALPHA CODE". I THINK THE BOX SHOULD BOLT UP AS THE ENGINE BLOCKS LOOK THE SAME. MY QUESTION IS WILL THE NEW BOX WORK CORRECTLY IF I JUST BOLT IT IN? IF IT WOULD NOT IF I ALSO INSTALLED THE ECU FROM THE SECOND CAR WOULD THAT MAKE IT WORK? IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I WOULD NEED TO MAKE IT WORK? LIKE WIRING ETC? THE PART NUMBER OF THE OTHER BOX IS XXXXXXXXXXX THE "P" NUMBERS ARE ALSO DIFFERENT MINE IS P18 THE OTHER P20. THESE ARE "CALIBRATION CODES". ANY HELP HERE APPRECIATED.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
The rule for installing used parts is if the part numbers are different, the units are not compatible. You need to find an exact match for your current box. Moving the ecu won't help.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I could have got that answer from any BMW main agent. Of course if I could source the exact same part at a reasonable price I would not have asked the question. I wanted an informed answer as to why it would not or could be made to work. It would have helped even if you could have told me the differences in the 2 parts. This "stock" answer is of no use at all. If it had been the engine being changed over rather than the gearbox I know the answer. They would work..... all be it with some additional bits being changed. So do you want to have another go? Or are you unable to source the information that I have asked for?

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

This information does not exist. BMW does not keep a database of what parts can be crossed with what other parts - they are not in the business of building pieced together cars from multiple different sources. The only way to know would be to try and see, or find somebody, a single individual, who has tried this EXACT swap. The rule that any professional goes by is part number matching. No professional would try or advise trying to install a non-matching part number.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I know about engines not automatic gearbox's. I know that repair kits for both these gearbox's come back with the same part numbers. I also know that these GM units go in to many makes of cars. So can you explain to me what the "alpha" code numbers actually mean along with the calibration code numbers? That may well help me.