Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a very severe creaking from the offside rear of my 2000

Customer Question

I have a very severe creaking from the offside rear of my 2000 X5 4.4 when driving
I have replaced shocs and anti roll bar links and bushes but no improvement.
Any clues?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

1st Check for worn suspension joints by jacking the car up so the wheel is off the ground and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel). There should be no play in either direction.
Any play in 1 direction will usually require a suspension joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault.
If theres play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.

Best way to find which one is squeaking is to bounce the car on each corner to find which one is noisy then get under the car and spray a suspension joint with WD40, then re-bounce that corner to see if the noise is any better/ quieter. Repeat until you find which joint is noisy then you can get it replaced, or just add some moly grease.

Squeaking joints are usually a sign of wear, but a joint can carry on like this for many miles with no problems other than the noise.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

do you still need help with this?