Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

the roof on 330ci e46 convertable will not work,the lights

Customer Question

the roof on 330ci e46 convertable will not work,the lights are working when I press it to
start, I have checked the fuses and they are ok. the windows do not lower as they should do.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

have any diagnostics been carried out?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, Nothing else has been tried, nothing has been put in the boot to

interfer with anything

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Please double check the compartment in the trunk and open/close it a few times. You can also unhook the car's battery for one hour to fully reset the system.

Aside from fuses and the trunk compartment, this convertible top system is very complex and uses a control module and multiple sensors as well as the drive units which feed into to the module so that it knows exactly what motors to send power to, at what times. When just one of these sensors stops sending a signal to the convertible top module, the top with no longer operate, and the button will light up.

In order to determine which sensor or component has failed, the fault memory will need to be read out of the convertible top system using a BMW scan tool. Once the memory is read, the faulty component can be easily identified and replaced, and functionality restored to the top. Without reading the fault memory, there is unfortunately no way to know what the failure is, and the system is impossible to repair.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.