Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have just bought a bmw alpina roadster and ahve lowered tyhe

Customer Question

I have just bought a bmw alpina roadster and ahve lowered tyhe hood to clean the inside. Now the hood will not raise, the satellitte navigation screen will not lift up and the engine will not start (just hearing the starter motor clicking) everythinhg else works fine. Any ideas what may be causing this?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

this usually points to a flat battery. I would try a jump start if you have not or charge/replace the battery

if the starter still only clicks with a full battery, then the starter may have failed.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Everything else works on the car perfectly, (radio, cd, lights [full beam and fog], central locking, air conditioning etc) just not the folding roof, sat nav will not lift up and the engine will not fire. It was perfectly OK only one hour before - on this basis do you think it is still just simply a flat battery?

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

yes, it takes significantly more electrical power to turn the starter motor than to run lights and dash components. a click from the engine area indicates a flat battery so the absolute next step is a jump start. if it still just clicks with a jump or new battery, then you may have a failed starter.

the other components which will not open (roof, nav) may be independent failiures, but the clicking with no starter motor engagement while trying to start is hallmark for a flat battery so the next step is a jump

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. I put the battery on charge a couple of hours ago to just check as I know the signs of a flat battery with the clicking of the starter motor but the simultaneous failure of the hood (which may be another heavy use item) plus merely opening the sat nav (which surely can only be a very low power drain and with everything else working!) I was wondering whether any of these three items were linked together in some way by the BMW immobiliser - would you know if they are?

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

no, these are not linked together with the bmw immobilizer.