Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Just been out in my 530 automatic, i could hear a strange noise

Customer Question

Just been out in my 530 automatic, i could hear a strange noise which i first though was on the radio, but it sounded like a gale was blowing? i turned the radio off and i could still hear it, i slowed down to go over a speed bump and noticed i had no acceleration and the noise got loader, i was only five minutes from home and came back i have struggled to reach 30 mph on the way back?? Any one have ideas? Not had any problem since having the car 8 months ago it is 2004 reg.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Ok..One of the first checks to make would be within the engine bay itself in regards to the air intake hoses/intercooler hoses to the turbo unit etc/vacuum hoses and follow them all and check each carefully to ensure they are properly connected and havent suffered any tears or splits..you can do this too by having the engine running and locate the noise you hear..by your description of events and the sudden lack of power and air noise it certainly sounds like intercooler hose has slipt or popped off - but as above that would be usually one of the first things to be checking before you progress to checking other areas..I do hope this helps..If you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate