Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hello, I purched an x5, drove it back the 120 miles my house,

Hello, I purched an x5, drove it back the 120 miles my house, spent yesterday today stopping/starting it fine. The previous owner said the factory default satnav was sporadic, so I checked the fuses, all ok. Now it won't start. All the lights come on when I turn the key and there's a "click" assuming it's trying to fire, but the car doesn't start.

Could I have somehow immobilised it ? All fuses still ok. I've tried locking it and leaving it 20 minutes, tried looking for any dashboard message. It's a 2000 e54 on an X registration (UK owner)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Stephen
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Where does the click come from? The engine area?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The click is from just behind the dashboard. Yes the engine area.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
is it a single click or multiple? do the dash lights dim or flash?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
hello? is it a single click or multiple? do the dash lights dim or flash?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's a single click, at first the lights didn't dim, but now it's starting yo slighly dim
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

a single click tends to point to a failed starter motor.

it is possible that you simply have a flat battery so you should try a jump start if you have not

if you still only get a single click when you try to start, that points to the starter as having failed, which will unfortunately require it be replaced.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will call out the AA tomorrow and will update you on their verdict.

Thanks for the help
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
you are welcome, please do not forget to click on a positive rating to complete the question. you can still post back again after rating if needed, without further change. thank you in advance for selecting a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Replaced battery (AA did it) now it runs fine

Thankyou