Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

steering wheel with red padlock sign has come on my dashboard

steering wheel with red padlock sign has come on my dashboard of my bmw 118d. what does it mean how much to fix and if needs to go to garage does it have to go to bmw dealership or any garage?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
What is the last 7 of the vin?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

E042487

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

this is a common issue and is a failure of the electronic steering lock that is integrated into your steering column.

in some cases a software update and new battery can resolve this, which would cost around £300- £400

more likely, the steering column will need to be replaced, which will cost more like £1200-£1400

this will need to be done at a main dealer or very high end / well equipped BMW specialist garage. A generalist garage cannot rectify this.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thankyou for your reply steve, i have been driving the car for a couple of weeks now with this light on and it hasn,t felt any different to drive than before the light was there is this normal or will the car suddenly get worse if not fixed? please reply and soon as get message i will rate you good. thankyou

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

you may end up unable to steer or even start the car if it gets worse. Get it fixed asap

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.