Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a E38, 97 plate 4.4. Its done 111k with a full bmw

I have a E38, '97 plate 4.4. It's done 111k with a full bmw service history and runs great but, recently after pushing the car hard on the motorway for a few miles a couple of times, (I dont push it hard very often) the car developes a rocking motion , feels like side to side, when moving slowly or at idle. It shakes like this until I switch it off and leave it for a while and then it's back to normal!! Any suggetions?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
where does the rocking motion come from? the engine? the body? somewhere else?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The engine.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

thanks for confirming

this type of symptom would most likely be attributable to failing motor mounts. I would start here.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not being machanically minded, can you describe what failing motor mounts are and what the fix would be if this is the case?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Need to know a little bit more and understand the problem identified and if there are any other possibilities.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

motor mounts are just like their name suggests, they are what mounts the motor to the car. they support it and allow for some flex rather than a ridged, fixed mount.

the repair for failed motor mounts is to have them replaced.

kindly please select a positive rating so that I receive credit for my answer. thank you.