Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a E38, 97 plate 4.4. Its done 111k with a full bmw

I have a E38, '97 plate 4.4. It's done 111k with a full bmw service history and runs great but, recently after pushing the car hard on the motorway for a few miles a couple of times, (I dont push it hard very often) the car developes a rocking motion , feels like side to side, when moving slowly or at idle. It shakes like this until I switch it off and leave it for a while and then it's back to normal!! Any suggetions?
where does the rocking motion come from? the engine? the body? somewhere else?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The engine.

thanks for confirming

this type of symptom would most likely be attributable to failing motor mounts. I would start here.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not being machanically minded, can you describe what failing motor mounts are and what the fix would be if this is the case?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Need to know a little bit more and understand the problem identified and if there are any other possibilities.

motor mounts are just like their name suggests, they are what mounts the motor to the car. they support it and allow for some flex rather than a ridged, fixed mount.

the repair for failed motor mounts is to have them replaced.

kindly please select a positive rating so that I receive credit for my answer. thank you.