Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have an 05 plate 325 and the Idrive is having trouble starting

Customer Question

I have an 05 plate 325 and the Idrive is having trouble starting up?.. It eventually works but seems to try to start up but then can't get past the BMW screen?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
What diagnostics have been carried out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
None so far as Iv only had the car today.. I just hope I haven't been duped!
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately this is usually due to hardware or software failure of some kind. There are several different computer modules and power modules in this system which can cause issues like what you are experiencing.

The one thing you definitely should try is to unhook the main car battery for an hour to fully reboot the system. This can often clear out glitches.

If the problem persists the system will need to be scanned with a bmw diagnostic computer to verify the underlying trigger of the glitch. A sogtware reload may be sufficient, but you also may be facing the need for compnent replacement. If components are replaced, programming will also like be needed, again this requires a bmw programming computer.

Hopefully the battery reset will help. If not hopefully iy is something more minor like a software issue or inexpensive computer module

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thanks.. Il try the battery but do u no what sort of money I'd pay if it's not?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

it depends entirely on what the underlying failure turns out to be.

if it is just a software update, maybe 150.

if it is a module, from 350 up to 1000 even - all depends on what is triggering the failure to load.