Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2010 40D with 38k. Yesterday after parking all day put the

Customer Question

2010 X5 40D with 38k. Yesterday after parking all day put the key in ignition and the car wouldn't start. Cranking, but not working. Then I noticed that when I pushed the key in no ignition lights or any of the others came on; only the seatbelt light (and the little LCD display with the outside Temperature etc on ). Everything else was working, was able to use phone, use radio etc. Just seems that the engine ignition bits don't work ( oil press , charging lights and ignition) Was 30 miles from home and called garage ( 17.00 on Friday night!!!) no help at all. Tried again after the call and hey presto car back to normal. Drove home and after stopping the engine tried the key again and the same problem manifested. Have tried this morning even with the spare key fob and no difference, no ignition lights. Help, sounds expensive.

Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Can you please clarify what type of help you are seeking? What question would you like answered?