Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

i have a bmw m3 e92 2009. and if i dont drive it within 3

Customer Question

i have a bmw m3 e92 2009.
and if i dont drive it within 3 days the car will not start.
i am a electrician myself. so i did a test on the battery whilst everything on the car was dead and even after 30 mins i found there was still a 0.6 amp drain.the alternator is charging with everything on so i know its not that.
i even bought a new 850 amp battery as i thought the old one maybe past its useful life.
and still the problem persists.
do you have any ideas what can be the problem ?
before you answer what are the charges. so i know how much i have to pay.
regards
Mike.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
You have already been charged to place your question. Whatever the started amount was. Pleasee let me know if you would like an answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what more information do you require ?

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Please read what I typed in my message.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The car has a DCT gearbox. and aftermarket Angel eyes front Lighting.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Can you read my messages? If so, please reply "yes I can see your messages"

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i can see your message,

but i dont know what additional info you require

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
you asked a question about the charges. I am trying to explain that you have already been charged to place your question, approximately £10. So, given this, do you want an answer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what is going on i am answering you

but i am not getting a question from you.

what information do you require ? please answer.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

the information I require is if you want to continue given that this is a £10 charge.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

What you are experiencing is called parasitic draw. This is actually somewhat common.

If you have any kind of aftermarket equipment installed - which you do - this is the first suspect in any parasitic draw situation. I would suggest removing the aftermarket equipment first.

After the non OEM equipment, the blower motor speed controller and electric engine compartment cooling fan are the most common causes. The airbag computer, battery sensor an idrive/nav computer are also somewhat common.

Beyond these items though, it could be ANY component on the car.

In order to determine the cause of this (assuming it is not the aftermarket equipment), you will need to monitor amperage draw and then pull fuses one by one until the draw stops or drops below about 50ma. Whichever fuse stops the draw is the problem circuit and you can identify the issue from there.

BMW dealers also have special computer equipment and tests they can use to help identify the cause of this, so this is a second option, besides the above test.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle