Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2003 318ci SE Coupe and the engine management light

Customer Question

I have a 2003 318ci SE Coupe and the engine management light is on the dash and on occasion it flashes when accelerating. So i have read the faults and i got:
P27C3 OIL LEVEL SENSOR,
P2754 IGN CYL 3,
*P2743 MISFIRE CYL 3,
P2742 MISFIRE CYL 1,
P2753 IGN CYL 1,
*P274E MISFIRE DETECTION
Can you please tell me what exactly is wrong.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

with those range of misfire codes I'd 1st suggest pulling all the spark plugs and replace them with new
then be prepared to replace the ignition coils as they are very prone to issues with this engine

also worth checking is the state of the engine earth connections

1st start with the main battery earth connection at the battery terminal and at the chassis / engine connection then check that the small ring terminals of the engine wiring loom that are bolted to the engine

if all of this is OK then measure fuel pressure at the injectrors as a faulty pump or blocked filter can result in insufficent fuel getting to the engine and producing a lean misfire

and if this is OK then measure compression pressures across all cylinders as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other