Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Car brakes not effective and when used it makes a little noise,

Car brakes not effective and when used it makes a little noise, I took it to a local garage, they said to replace front n rear disc&pads.
This did not fix the problem, I was wrongly advised. What could be the problem.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

can you tell me if the pedal effort required to stop the car is really high?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its not that high but its below normal

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Foysal

Ok if the pedal effort isn't high but the brake sseem ineffective then I'd next check over the calipers and check that the pads are in square and true with no debris in the mounting slots, also inspect the caliper mounting faces for any dents, burrs, or debris which would cause them to be bolted up out of true, also remove the disc and do the same for its mounting face on the upright and inside the disc.

If you still have an issue then it could be a flexible brake line has partially collapsed and is producing a one way valve, this can't always be seen from the outside but you can test to see if there's any residual pressure in that caliper by cracking off the bleed nipple after stamping on the brake a few times

Another possibliity is that one caliper is sticking slightly so the piston isn't retracting on its seals

in which case that caliper will need rebuilding with new seals or replacing