Mike
Mike, BMW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi I have a 59 plate 330 tourer and the on board computer

Customer Question

Hi I have a 59 plate 330 tourer and the on board computer (sat nav, radio, reversing sensor etc) has ceased to work. It shows the BMW sign and then the screen goes red. There is a very quiet click. I have disconnected the battery for 30 mins but that has done nothing. Is there anything else I can do or is it a main agent job. If so will it be expensive?

Many thanks for your help.

Les.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Les,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shantal

Many thanks for your response. I am happy to wait for an answer . Thanks for your help and good luck.

Les

Hello Les,

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello Les and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise you ...

Before I progress - can I just ask - did it do this all of a sudden...or did it occur after nay work or such was done at the car?

Rgds, MIKE........................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike

Thanks very much. It was all of a sudden, I just got in the car one morning last week and noticed the Satnav was not working, the BMW sign came up and then the screen went red,then the BMW sign comes up, there is a very quiet click and then the screen goes red in a continuous cycle. When I take the fob out the BMW sign stays on for a fair while. I have tried disconnecting the battery again but it made no difference.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Les

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Les -

Thank you for your reply and further info..that is very helpful -

Ok - what you have is a fairly common fault -but it has different causes Les..

One is, if you have idrive, it can be the idrive faulty , the output to the screen / module.. or, the unit itself going / gone faulty...

Too - there was a TSB / technical service bulletin( SIB 610811) which refers to the positive battery cable connection at the front power distribution box loses connection giving problems affecting that circuit... Fix : Replace junction box and battery cable. Cleared any fault codes and check operation.

Sometimes though the unit will respond to a "re program " or software re load... this is done with BMW equipment,... Im afraid its all going to involve you needing to use a BMW dealer to do this for you to get this sorted for you - but one way or the other as above will see this sorted for you Les.. let me know how you get on..

If you need anything else at all...let me know - Im always happy to help more so if needed..

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, BMW Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike

Very many thanks for your really useful info - at least I have some idea now!

Thanks again

Best wishes

Les

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike

Having put off getting this sorted because of the inevitable bill, it has just this minute all sprung into life! Amazing.No apparent reason but I am keeping my fingers crossed it continues to work.

Thanks again for the help

Les