Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

my 523i automatic (1998 S Reg ) will only move forward very

my 523i automatic (1998 S Reg ) will only move forward very slowly - the dash warning symbol relating to traction control has come on - are these two things connected ? Pressing the ASC button does not swich the warning light off
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

hello,

is the transmission warning on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No other warnings are showing

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

did the slow moving and ASC light start at the same time?

does the transmission shift normally?

does the car move in reverse?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The warning light had come on just as I got home the previous night and was still on when I moved off the next day

The transmission seems to work normally ( albeit slowly )

Reversing is not a problem

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

when the ASC light comes on, this means that there is a fault is the traction control system of the car. This system is able to cut throttle input, so, a malfunction here can impact the throttle response of the car.

additionally, a failure of this system can also sometimes cause a transmission fault, which can lock the transmission in high gear and force the car to move slowly. This does not seem to be your issue if the transmission is working, but it was worth mentioning.

The other possibility would be an unrelated transmission or engine malfunction, but you do not have any warning lights which point to any issue other than a traction control issue at present.

The next / only step at this time will be to have the computer fault logs read out of the traction control system using a compatible diagnostic scanner at a BMW garage. This is the ONLY way to diagnose an ASC warning light.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help Steve , I am arranging for a man with the appropriate diagnostic equipment to investigate Kind Regards XXXXX

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

you are welcome, please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating.