Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My 5 series BMW is not starting and the indicator is showing

My 5 series BMW is not starting and the indicator is showing a key with a line crossed through it. I have two keys and both batteries are operating - the doors are locking and unlocking remotely. Still the car will not start. Can you help?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

hello,

I would be happy to help. what kind of information are you seeking regarding this issue?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How can I start the car!

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

I will be honest with you, which I trust will be appreciated.

99% you cannot start the car without parts replacement or reprogramming by a BMW main dealer.

you can try unhooking the battery for an hour to reset everything, checking fuses and locking/unlocking the door mechanically a few times, but more than likely the vehicle will need to be towed to a main dealer for a software update or parts replacement due to a CAS fault or steering lock fault.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your honest reply - tomorrow I will get a new battery for the key and try to restart the car - a recovery service will tow the car to BMW dealership in Leicester if that does not work.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

You are welcome. Also try a jump start if you have not. Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating