Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I own a BMW 316 TI Automatic and have from new in 2001. It

I own a BMW 316 TI Automatic and have from new in 2001. It has always been fully serviced by BMW and BMW parts at all times. Has done approx 62k miles. Overall been excellent and apart from tyres, brakes etc never had faults. I have one now though which BMW seem unable to solve. From cold first start up it goes for a few hundred yards and then hesitates, if I stop for lights etc it stops and it takes 3/4 goes to get going again. Once it has and warms there is no problem - similarly if I start it again later in the day it has hesitancy to start with but if I drive through this it is fine. BMW have replaced plugs, pipe in exhaust system, complete new EMS and it has been back and forwards around 9 times but nothing solves it. The car looks like new and could still have a good life ahead but I am desparate to find out what the problem is and how to resolve. Any ideas/suggestions.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

I would suggest that this might be a faulty temp sensor, failing fuel pump (or other pressure issue) or possibly a bad/leaking injector.

I would also suggest taking the vehicle elsewhere - to a private BMW specialist garage as your dealer seems to not be able to resolve this.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.