Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi. I have a BMW x3.. 37000 miles. Yesterday loud noise from

Hi. I have a BMW x3.. 37000 miles. Yesterday loud noise from engine. Car would then not drive. Engine starts but will not move. It's automatic. Gearbox problems?

Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
does the car not move in forward or reverse?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Steve. No nothing. Very strange. Been running with no problems so far.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

likely a gearbox or transfer case issue. best case just a shift linkage issue, but if you heard a load noise, probably not.

it could possibly be elsewhere in the driveline, but the gearbox or t-case would be most likely.

you will need to have the vehicle raised on a hoist for inspection to verify the cause

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.