Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a BMW 318i which has now done 113,000 miles. (it is

I have a BMW 318i which has now done 113,000 miles. (it is about fourteen years old but I just love the shape and would prefer not to get rid of it) It has an automatic transmission which has recently started playing up- it seemed that the engine would rev up suddenly and gears were not changing when they should. Also it sometimes went into emergency mode but when I stopped, switched off for about 30 seconds and then restarted, it would correct itself. More recently during normal driving, it felt as if there was a lack of power and again, erratic gear changes. However today, I believe that the transmission is about to fail completely as it went into emergency mode a few times. Can this problem be repaired? And, if so, how much is it likely to cost, or am I looking at replacing the transmission? And how much will this cost.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
What faults are logged in the cars computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not know what faults are logged in the computer

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

the first step in diagnosing the cause of safety mode is to have the faults read from the car. This is your first/next/only step.

in terms of possible causes, yes, an worn out transmission can cause this, but so can low fluid, a failed sensor, a voltage problem, etc.

so, you MUST have the faults read as a first step

worst case, if the transmission is worn internally, then you will be looking at approximately £2000 to have your transmission rebuilt or a used unit fitted. Or, approx. £4500 to have a replacement from BMW fitted.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX have the faults read from the car and take it from there as you advised.