Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a BMW 318i which has now done 113,000 miles. (it is

I have a BMW 318i which has now done 113,000 miles. (it is about fourteen years old but I just love the shape and would prefer not to get rid of it) It has an automatic transmission which has recently started playing up- it seemed that the engine would rev up suddenly and gears were not changing when they should. Also it sometimes went into emergency mode but when I stopped, switched off for about 30 seconds and then restarted, it would correct itself. More recently during normal driving, it felt as if there was a lack of power and again, erratic gear changes. However today, I believe that the transmission is about to fail completely as it went into emergency mode a few times. Can this problem be repaired? And, if so, how much is it likely to cost, or am I looking at replacing the transmission? And how much will this cost.
What faults are logged in the cars computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not know what faults are logged in the computer

the first step in diagnosing the cause of safety mode is to have the faults read from the car. This is your first/next/only step.

in terms of possible causes, yes, an worn out transmission can cause this, but so can low fluid, a failed sensor, a voltage problem, etc.

so, you MUST have the faults read as a first step

worst case, if the transmission is worn internally, then you will be looking at approximately £2000 to have your transmission rebuilt or a used unit fitted. Or, approx. £4500 to have a replacement from BMW fitted.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX have the faults read from the car and take it from there as you advised.