Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have 330i M Sport E90 2005 38,000 miles done.....there is

I have 330i M Sport E90 2005 38,000 miles done.....there is a kind of droning noise when driving which increases at higher speed, usually above 30 mph. A local mechanic thinks the rear wheel bearings are going. What would be your opinion?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

does the noise change when you turn?

what part of the car does the noise come from?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well as I'm slowing down to turn it's not so noticeable, it seems to get louder when I go above 40 mph although performance seems normal. Noise feels like coming from wheels even sounds like something is obstructing the tyres but I checked and there's nothing.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
I would suspect it to be tire wear, wheel bearings, or the transafer case/output shafts. If the car is raised for inspection and run in the air, you should be able to have it narrowed down further

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So probably is wheel bearings as the mechanic was able to inspect car on ramp. He's quoting me £700 to replace both rear wheel bearings. Does this sound too much or is going to be time consuming to do so high labour cost? are the parts expensive?