Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

hi got a 2004 318 turbo d E46 bm, started went to work, started

hi got a 2004 318 turbo d E46 bm, started went to work, started drove home, started went to girlfriends house then when i went to start it, it just cranked over and over but wouldnt start, got a tow 2 days later and it started no probs, drove it home (26 miles) drove home perfect not a problem switched it off and tried again to start it, but the same thing again just cranked over and wouldnt fire up, any ideas please
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

hello

this suggests a failing fuel pump or crank sensor

it could possibly be a power supply issue to the engine computer.

I would suggest checking for / monitoring fuel pressure and spark the next time it happens to narrow down further.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Steve,

you said this could be a failing fuel pump, i take it that this is the one that runs along the floor against the chassis leg? you also mentioned checking for spark its a diesel engine, and you dont think that its an injector problem like others have told me its injectors, but then others say its not as when i started it on a tow it ran really good and smooth not a hiccup from the engine.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
guy i was talking to went offline