Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi I have a 320 diesel and speed meter, fuel gage, temperature

Hi I have a 320 diesel and speed meter, fuel gage, temperature gauge, on board computer display, wipers and lights to show the indicators are on have all stopped working at the same time. I have checked all the relevant fuses and they check out fine. Any ideas?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

The most common thing that would cause this would be a failed ignition switch or failed instrument cluster. In rare cases it can be another control module that causes interference and takes out other functions, but that is not likely

You can try unhooking the car battery for an hour to reset all systems. If this does not work, you are looking at component replacement to fix this - ignition switch, cluster, or other control module.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the answer, the symptoms I described were as the car was before I went away on a business trip just over a month ago. During that time the car was just parked up on my drive. Since my return the car is now working fine. Any ideas? do you think this will be permanent or just temporary before what ever is broken finally goes completely.

thanks very much for your honest answer and your time.

many thanks

gareth bray

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

That is hard to say. It could have just been a glitch, it could be something that is deeveloping and will get worse / permanent, or it could be something that is temperature dependent.

Only time will tell with certainty.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating, thanks.