Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a BMW X5 3.0L diesel that when I increase pressure on

I have a BMW X5 3.0L diesel that when I increase pressure on accelerator it increases speed more than I have accelerated and at same time does a lot of pinging in the engine/manifold and spews a lot of smoke. It does it only when I am accelerating uphill but not going downhill. And I found a lot of black gunk inside the manifold.
Is the fuel sensor damaged/inoperative? Can you suggest a cause? Thank you for your time.
Piero
Category: BMW
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello Piero,

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not at all I would like the question answered satisfactorily as it will be useful to gauge your experts' knowledge and my outlook working with you guys in the future.

Thank you and best regards

Piero

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Piero

I think that the engine may be running of engine oil as a deisel will use this as fuel and so run on as you describe

The first thing I'd check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet , however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carrys oil over with it.

If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil.

If you do find oil replace the valve.

Also check inside the intake just after the turbo for any signs of oil as this would be an indication that the turbo oil seal is starting to fail and a replacement / rebuilt turbo may well be required. Have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have 2 supplementary,related questions:

1) I had run a computer diagnostic which showed as follows: obd2 diagnostics show error code P0192: fuel rail pressure sensor low input.

Do you know if the sensor would contribute to the problem I asked about in any way? Damm thing is sooo expensive for being such as small bugger.

2) I also noticed that while accelerating the power required for the booster to start operating was not being generated & therefore the accelerating very poor.

Does this related to the probability of the turbo oil seal that might be faulty/radial play on the turbine wheel?

Thank you for an early reply as I intend to buy the parts asap. Brgds, P.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

a P0192 code may put the engine into limp home and if its genuine then there's probably a lack of fuel being supplied to the main pump

so don't replace the sensor

1st thing to do is replace the fuel filter and if that doesn't help then check the power supply to the lift pump in the fuel tank

and its still worth pulling off the intake pipe to check the turbo
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I live in northern Panama, Boquete and mechanics here are few and far in between and no one know how to work on a BMW X5.

I have been looking for a replacement cranckcase pressure valve for my E53 3.0d 2006 (I can only check the condition of the current one on this coming thursday) and I have seen on the net that it would be better if I bought a crancase pressure valve of a E70 3.0d because they have a vortex filter which is far superior. Do you agree or can advice me in the purchasing of this valve? Thank you for your kind attention

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

the later PCV ( Positive crankcase ventilation ) is a better piece and if you can get it then yes its a worthwhile modification

I think there may be a difference in hose sizes though ( the later part being larger) so your original hose may require a clip to hold it on
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years