Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

ABS failure all 3 ABS/ETC etc (yellow) warning lights came

ABS failure all 3 ABS/ETC etc (yellow) warning lights came on (2002 Z3 3 lit). My technicians diog.equipment can't talk to the ECU. Any ideas ?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

hello,

does your tech have diagnostic equipment that has the capability to read faults from the BMW abs system?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. He has always been able to do all my cars. (BMW/JAG LAND ROVER ETC)
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

in that case the abs/dsc control module has most likely failed. This is very common.

replacing it with a new one is hugely expensive, so I would consider sending it out for repair to BBA Reman (easily found on google).

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Steve. Is there any other reason for my guy not being able to "talk" to the ecu ?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
The only likely one is if his equipment is not capable.

Other less likely possibilities:

If there is a wiring/connection issue

If there is another failed control unit causing a communication problem for the abs module

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.