Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

hi, I own a bmw E87 118i se. On three occasions my car would

hi, I own a bmw E87 118i se. On three occasions my car would not start. A picture of a steering wheel appeared on the dash with an arrow in a cicule round the steering wheel. I checked the hand book which clearly stated that it could be the locking system on my steering wheel which if happens would not start. I took it to my local dealership and they chedched in on the diagnostic equipment and no problem showed up hence could not offer any help only to say that if it happens again take aq picture and take it back. I am now sriving a car that has a problem they cannot fix. Very Frustrated. Any Clues!!!
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

I am familiar with this problem

can you please clarify what type of "clues" or information you would like?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

WHen the car does not start the simbol as described come on the dash but will not show uo up dianostic machine. Why does not start it must be something to do with the locking system on the seeting wheel that stops it from starting.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

this is a common and known problem

the problem is either a fault in the CAS (car access system) or with the steering lock itself.

sometimes, a software update and new battery (along with charging system test to verify voltage never gets too low) can resolve the issue, however, more commonly, the steering column needs to be replaced (the steering lock is integrated into the column)

it is somewhat shocking that your dealer cannot suggest a path forward even without the diagnostic machine showing faults - your description is hallmark for a known issue, and the known fixes are as I've described above. I would consider finding a new dealer or complaining to BMW corporate customer service.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that I have thought its been this all off the time. I will go back to the dealership and put this to them. Thanks again