Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2001 bmw 318 and the remote key does not work to open

I have a 2001 bmw 318 and the remote key does not work to open or close the doors.When i use the key manually i can open and close the drivers door but the rest of the doors do not unlock(deadlocked?)

How do i resolve?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
does the locking button on the dash work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried the locking button today and it closed the drivers door.Since then when i open and close the drivers door the passenger door and the rear doors dont open

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
What does the dash button do when you use it now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It locks the drivers door but does nothing to the other doors.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
I would be sure you check fuses if you have not. They are behind a small panel in the glove box and there is also a diagram that says which fuse is for what - check all specified for central locking, power windows, mirrors and wipers.

It is not likely that this is a fuse issue though, but it is worth a check

The usual cause of this type of issue is a failed general module. This is the control unit that manages central locking. You would need to have the unit rebuilt or replaced to fix the issue in that case.

The only other possible cause would be a failure of all 3 other locks at the same time, or a wiring problem. This is very unlikely

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.