Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi socket for ignition key will not hold key in place have

Hi socket for ignition key will not hold key in place have placed tape round key this now james key in place all works ok thanks ian B M W TOURING auto 2006
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Can you please clarify what your question is about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The electronic key unit was held in place by to indentashions / groves this grip is not working

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
This is a common problem, the key slot itself needs to be replaced. This is very common on 3 series of your vintage, bmw even has a service bulletin out on it.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can I see this info also car is 5 series

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

the service bulletin applies to all 3 and 5 series, here is the bulletin: CLICK HERE TO VIEW

please consider a tip/bonus for my provision of this internal information, which is not free to access.