Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

e46 bmw 330ci ssg gearbox 52 plate 63,000 on clock cutting

e46 bmw 330ci ssg gearbox 52 plate 63,000 on clock cutting out after stopping an restarting
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
do you mean it cuts out after you stop at a light then try to pull away, or that if you run the car, turn the engine off, then restart the engine, then it cuts out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry, if i run the car, turn the engine off then restart it cuts out as i try to pull away

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Steve, the engine stalls after i have ran it for about an hour stop go to the shops or petrol station and then try to restart it .

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Does the car then start up okay after that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no i have to limp home by slowly pressing the gas pedal and hoping it picks up and ticks over, once home if i leave it till the next day it is fine until l i stop to restart again

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
This would suggest leaking injectors or other fuel pressure bleed off issue.

I would suggest having the fuel pressure monitored at a time when the issue can be replicated. It would also be great to have a high end diagnostic computer hooked up while replicating, so that all inputs and outputs can be monitored in real time and identify any readings that are out of spec, in case it isn't the fuel pressure. For a one hour labor charge at a reputible bmw specialist garage, the issue should be verifiable.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for your help Steve, i was thinking along those lines as the engine runs fine at all times until this fault appears and i engage the gearbox.