Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi I have a high pitched noise coming from the speakers of

Hi I have a high pitched noise coming from the speakers of my 10 plate 3 series tourer when I put the ignition on, without the radio on or engine running. It stops when you remove the ignition key. Can you help?
cheers Phil.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

hello,

what kind of help is it that you are seeking?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi I would like to know what this high pitch noise is and how I can stop it it starts as soon as you put the key in and have the ignition on it goes all the time with the engine on or off or the audio system on or off. it comes from all the speakers.

Cheers Phil.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer, I trust that this will be appreciated on a Sunday. Please remember that a low rating PUISHES me for providing an honest answer and I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

this suggest a failed amplifier. the usual fix would be to replace the amp. you could also try reprogramming.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is this easy to replace?

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

it is not difficult to replace but it may require reprogramming once replaced. also this is an expensive part so you will want to invest in a proper diagnostic to verify 100% that it is the amp and not another control unit causing interference (which is rare but can happen).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi when you say its an expensive part how much would this be approx .

Ceeers Phil.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

it depends on the exact audio system, could run from 400 to 800 £

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks.