Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi Ive got an x5 which has the head gasket gone. Ive found

Hi I've got an x5 which has the head gasket gone. I've found a garage who will rebuild the engine but the car won't start and is locked in park. Also how do I get the ignition code after disconnecting the battery. I have all documents but no clue as to the number. The car is auto and 2001 vintage. Thanks Jerry Copping
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

can you please clarify what it is you would like to know?

Is the car asking you for an ignition code?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Steve, my x5 auto d sport 2001 has the head gasket blown. As the engine won't start how do I get it out of park and onto the breakdown lorry.

If and when the car gets to the garage and the mechanic disconnects the battery ALL the memory in the computer will be lost. How do I find the code to enable the car to start and remember what it has to. Thanks in anticipation. Jerry
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

if you can turn the key to the second position, you should be able to put it in N

if not, you can try prying up the trim that surrounds the shifter to look for an override button to allow you to manually move the shifter to neutral.

if there is no release button on your model under the trim, then you will need to have dollys used to maneuver it onto the flat bed

this vehicle can ONLY be towed via flat bed due to the 4wd system.

there is no such thing as an ignition code. you can unhook the battery and reconnect it and there is nothing else to it. nothing is needed to start the car after unhooking the battery.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.