Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hello. I have a BMW 5 series on 19 inch rims with run flats

Hello. I have a BMW 5 series on 19 inch rims with run flats that have been a constant headache. I am now on my third set of tyres in 15 months due to damage caused by pot holes. Looking to replace with 17 inch rims. Ideally same design - B Spoke. Quoted £1300 from BMW - looking for reconditioned or second hand. Your advice appreciated. Thanks

Just to add, they have 5 studs and I have a photo to email you if helpful.  Need to know precise sizing of the 17 inch rims I need, offset etc and good source for where I can buy reconditioned/second hand 

Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

hello,

can you please clarify what type of advice you are seeking about this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Steve, I am struggling to find out either from BMW or elsewhere the precise spec of wheel rims I need to search for and where I might get them from - that is the advice I am seeking.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
I thought you were looking for a wheel that BMW already offers? A specific spoke design in 17"? If it is a 5 series wheel then I am not sure why you need specs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't seem to be making myself clear, sorry. As I said in my first question I am looking for reconditioned or second hand wheels so therefore need all the details to put into a search engine such as size and offset details. If I ring BMW as I have done they just say they can order me the same wheels new as I have in a 17 inch. If I just put 17inch wheels for a BMW 5 series into google I get all sorts of models none of which are suitable. If you can't help no problem I'll keep enquiring elsewhere and if need be pursue BMW for the precise details.

Donna
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
I am afraid I didn't get much advice from Steve as you hopefully can see from the message trail. I have since found out the answer to my query through my tyre company. Would you review the service you provided me please and consider reimbursing me the cost of £12 - I think you'll agree it was not a satisfactory response - no offence Steve! Look forward to hearing from you. Regards
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

Ok your current 19" rim

will have a 5 stud mounting on a 120 PCD ( pitch circle diameter)

if its 8.5" wide ( 245 size tyre) it'll have an offset of 33mm or if its the 9" wide rim ( 275 size tyre) it'll be a 44 offset both have a 72.6mm counterbore / central hole

now the correct offset for a 17" x 7" wide rim is 35 mm

and this is a standard size wheel as fitted to the smaller engine 5 series from this same year and earlier

one of the cheapest places to find a set of wheels often with tyres fitted is on Ebay
and I'd also suggest contacting the specialist BMW breakers

http://bmw-breakers.co.uk/

or

http://www.shropshirebmwparts.co.uk/

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years