Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi, I have a range 2003 L322 Range Rover Vogue 4.4v8 which

Hi, I have a range 2003 L322 Range Rover Vogue 4.4v8 which has a BMW engine. It keeps leaking coolant. I've looked at the coolant tank but can't see that it's leaking from there. Where could the problem be?

Will it be safe for me to be working completely underneath the vehicle while it's on 3 ton axle stands. For example if I try to unscrew bolts using a lot of force, is it possible for the vehicle to fall off the stands and land on top of me?

Paul
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

where exactly have you checked for the leak and how?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve,

I checked the coolant tank and the pipe that comes out of it but there's no sign of a leak from there.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer, I trust that this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for providing an honest answer and I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

coolant runs through the whole engine and many hoses and the radiator

if you cannot visually see the leak, then the next step is to have the cooling system pressure tested with underbody paneling/shielding removed to find the source. This is how such leaks are detected.

a pressure test should be your next step.

if the vehicle is secure on axle stands it should be safe.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I buy a pressure test kit from eBay and do it myself, will it start leaking so I will be able to see where it's leaking from. Will 3 ton axle stands be suitable to use on a 2003 Range Rover Vogue?

If the water pump is leaking, will the pressure kit help to identify it buy forcing the water out?

Could any leaks be coming from the middle or rear of the vehicle?
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

hello Paul

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

If I buy a pressure test kit from eBay and do it myself, will it start leaking so I will be able to see where it's leaking from.

yes it will leak and as long as you remove the shielding, etc you will be able to see the source

Will 3 ton axle stands be suitable to use on a 2003 Range Rover Vogue?

the vehicle is over 3 tons so if it was me, I would not use 3 ton stands

yes

no

Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information Steve. There are no pressure kits on eBay for my vehicle so I will have to keep looking.