Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hello there, I have a BMW320d Tourer 2007 This morning

Customer Question

Hello there, I have a BMW320d Tourer 2007

This morning I used the key to remotely open the door (no probs) yet the ignition refuses to accept the key into its barrel. I get the 'faulty key' sign on the dashboard.

Some lights are working on the car, the radio and the time seem to show up momentarily and the usual electronic 'preparation-type noise' is heard. I almost have the sense that the car electronics are neither off nor on, but not sure.

Cannot get into key to obtain battery, doesn't seem to open as per instruction manual. Might you have any idea what is wrong, whether I have a problem with the car electronics (which might be able to be reset using a fancy procedure, or whether it is most likely to be the key?) Also, how do I go about getting another key?

Thank you in advance,

Sonja Burnett
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
hello, do you have the option where the car will start without the need to put the key in the dash?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello there Steve,

My apologies for not replying sooner, we had given up since we did not receive your reply on Sunday at all! Ah well, thank you now.

I have gotten to the stage where I can now start the car normally, but the key is immediately 'spat out' of the ignition barrel. It seems unable to hold it now for some reason...

So long as I push it back into the barrel immediately after I press the start button to stop the engine, I seem to be OK.

My impression is that it is the barrel area, not the key that is at fault and shall follow this up with BMW as soon as I can.

Thanks again!

Sonja

Very strange.....

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

it is common for the key slot/receiver to fail on this model. you likely need to have yours replaced.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.