Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

BMW 318i E46 on 52 plate rear wiper and washer not working.

BMW 318i E46 on 52 plate rear wiper and washer not working. Have had it checked and been told motor, mech, wiring and switch ok. suggested multi-function control. Is this right or wrong?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
What is the part # XXXXX what they are saying to replace?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I want to know what the problem is.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No idea what to replace

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

you asked if you should replace the "multi-function control" because this was suggested to you

please provide the part number of what is being suggested to you, so I can clarify what is being referred to by "multi-function control"

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry, I don't know what he was talking about..............some sort of ECU I think

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

what is the last 7 of the vin of the car?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Whole VIN is:

WBAAX520XOJX45193

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

JX45193

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
I will reply when I am able to get into the wiring diagram system to check this, the system is down at the moment
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

I have reviewed the wiring diagram.

the rear wipe wash control unit is responsible for control of the rear wiper and wash pump

if everything else has checked out and there are no blown fuses, then this is the likely cause.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to annoy you again, but where do I find that in the car?

(ps you are getting positive response for getting me this far)

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
It is in the rear hatch, should be connected to the wipe motor on this vehicle. It is likely what the shop was referring to by "multi function ntrol"

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much for your time and effort Steve. I can't ask for better information than you have given.

Jim