Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Eml light on.2001 e46 tourer,144,00 is now parked up,is it

Eml light on.2001 e46 tourer,144,00 is now parked up,is it save to drive short distances?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

how is the car running? is it running normally, or struggling/surging?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Seemed a little lumpy
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
I will provide an honest answer, I trust that this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for providing an honest answer and I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

you really should avoid driving the car then

the most common cause of the EML light is a failed throttle body and/or failed throttle body wiring harness - this is very common on your model but there are other possibilities as well

to verify, the computer fault logs will need to be read from the car by a BMW garage. It would be okay to drive the car a short distance to the garage, but I would advise that you do not continue to drive it otherwise, until the issue is fully diagnosed and repaired

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for you reply. It really helped