Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

hi, i have a 2005 bmw x5 diesel 3.o , i was towing my caravan

hi, i have a 2005 bmw x5 diesel 3.o , i was towing my caravan recently & was on a downward incline then when i leveled up and accelerated i lost drive, i tried all forward & reverse gears & was nothing , i thought being on a incline auto fluid was low & maybe the pump pick up pipe was not delivering fluid to torque converter, but then reilised there was no dip stick. how do i tpo up or change fluid in this model , i left car for about 10 mins ,then it drove perfect for rest of 120 mile yourney. i must stress i did drive very causiously & avoided kick down ,where possible , could you please advise ,only going on hols soon, regards nigel.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

hello,

can you please clarify what type of advise you are looking for or what question you would like answered?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi, iwould like to know how to renew auto box oil , & why it would suddenly lose drive , then be ok 10 mins later. regards.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

there is no dipstick

the transmission is sealed and fluid can only be added through a fill hole on the transmission itself. the vehicle needs to be raised and level to accomplish this. This makes it difficult to do in a non-professional setting.

regarding the loss of gear it could be due to overheating of the transmission, low fluid, internal clog or leak, or other mechanical failure.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.